Fuji unveils a stunning GFX-100s camera with IBIS. And also a compact GFX-50r and three new GF lenses
Image by DPreview
Ahhhh you can always count on Fuji at Photokina for some major visceral WOW moment! And let’s start with the biggest one:
1) Fuji announced the development of the new GFX-100: 100 megapixels, IBIS (world’s first for a medium format), 4K video and $10,000 price tag. It will be on market by 2019.
2) Fuji announced the new GFX-50r which becomes the cheapest medium format camera you can buy right now for $4,500 at BHphoto.
3) Fuji announced the new compact 50mm f/3.5 GF lens and two more zoom lenses for 2019-2020
Here is the preview by DPreview:
Here is the official press text:
FUJIFILM REVEALS LATEST DEVELOPMENT OF G MOUNT LENS ROADMAP FOR GFX SYSTEM OF MEDIUM FORMAT MIRRORLESS CAMERAS
Valhalla, N.Y., September 25, 2018 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today unveiled the latest development of the G Mount Lens Roadmap for the GFX system of medium format mirrorless cameras. The latest roadmap adds the new FUJINON GF100-200mmF5.6 R LM OIS WR telephoto zoom lens, GF50mmF3.5 R LM WR compact prime lens and GF45-100mmF4 R LM OIS WR mid telephoto zoom lens. With the addition of these lenses, the GF lens lineup includes a total of eleven lenses covering focal lengths from 23 to 350mm (equivalent to 18-277mm in the 35mm format), to support a wide range of shooting scenarios and photographer needs.
The new GF100-200mmF5.6 R LM OIS WR is a telephoto zoom lens with a focal length range of 100mm to 200mm (equivalent to 79-158mm in the 35mm film format). This lens can be used with the existing GF1.4X TC WR teleconverter to cover a focal length range of 140mm to 280mm (equivalent to 111-221mm in the 35mm film format). The smallest and lightest lens in the GF lineup, the GF50mmF3.5 R LM WR has a focal length of 50mm (equivalent to 40mm in the 35mm film format). When used with the new FUJIFILM GFX 50R, this lens is a highly portable and compact addition to the medium format digital camera system. The new GF45-100mmF4 R LM OIS WR is a versatile zoom lens that covers a focal length range equivalent to 36mm to 79mm in the 35mm film format, perfect for portraiture and snapshots.
Image by Dpreview
FUJIFILM ANNOUNCES NEW RANGEFINDER-STYLE MEDIUM FORMAT GFX MIRRORLESS CAMERA
FUJIFILM GFX 50R features large 51.4MP image sensor in compact and lightweight body reminiscent of renowned medium format film cameras; first in the GFX system to feature Bluetooth® compatibility
Valhalla, N.Y., September 25, 2018 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the new FUJIFILM GFX 50R rangefinder-style medium format mirrorless digital camera. Featuring a large 51.4MP G Format CMOS image sensor and X-Processor Pro image processing engine, the GFX 50R delivers superior image quality in a compact and lightweight body reminiscent of their renowned medium format film cameras widely used in street and documentary photography. The GFX 50R is equipped with a 0.77×3.69M-dot organic “OLED” electronic viewfinder for accurate focusing and framing images. Weighing approximately 145g less than the GFX 50S, this camera offers intuitive handling in a rugged, weather-sealed body to meet the varying needs of photographers.
“We are very excited to further expand the GFX system with the introduction of a rangefinder-style medium format camera,” says Yuji Igarashi, General Manager of the Electronic Imaging Division and Optical Devices Division of FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “The GFX 50R is a lighter and more compact model within the medium format mirrorless system, perfect for professional photographers who specialize in street, documentary or portrait photography.”
Equipped with 51.4MP Medium Format CMOS Sensor and X-Processor Pro
The GFX 50R features the FUJIFILM G Format 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor with a 51.4MP resolution and high-performance X-Processor Pro image processing engine to provide outstanding color and tone reproduction. Supporting FUJIFILM renowned Film Simulation modes, the camera allows photographers to opt for the tonality of photographic films such as Velvia, PROVIA and ACROS, used for many years in medium format film cameras by professional and enthusiast photographers alike. The micro lenses on the sensor in the new GFX 50R have been designed to optimize light gathering performance and image resolution to deliver images that precisely reproduce the subject’s texture, three-dimensional feel and even the atmosphere of each scene.
Intuitive Handling and Rugged Body to Meet Photographer Needs
Featuring a robust magnesium alloy body, the GFX 50R is weather-sealed in 64 places, designed to be weather- and dust-resistant, and capable of operating in temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit \ -10 degrees Celsius. The GFX 50R is also built for intuitive operation. Equipped with a Focus Lever to allow quick focal point adjustment, the GFX 50R eliminates selector buttons to provide extra space for comfortably holding the camera. The top of the body sports two dials – for shutter speed and exposure compensation – constructed of milled aluminum to give the camera professional durability and feel.
Compact and Lightweight Rangefinder-Style Medium Format Mirrorless Digital Camera
The GFX 50R camera weighs 775g with built-in EVF, approximately 145g lighter than the GFX 50S, and the body is just 66.4mm thick, 25.0mm thinner than the GFX 50S. The rangefinder style design allows photographers to keep one eye on the subject while looking through the viewfinder with the other eye, enabling users to check the scene around the subject matter to ensure optimal capture.
First Bluetooth® Compatible Camera in the GFX System for Enhanced Connectivity
Providing photographers with enhanced connectivity, the GFX 50R is the first model in the GFX system to feature Bluetooth® low energy wireless communication. This feature offers the ability to pair the camera with a smartphone or tablet for easy transfer of pictures via the free FUJIFILM Camera Remote application.
Extensive Lineup of Lenses and Compatibility with Capture One and Additional Software
Currently, the GFX system offers a lineup of seven FUJINON GF Lenses for G Mount, covering focal lengths from 23mm (equivalent to 18mm in the 35mm film format) to 250mm (equivalent to 198mm in the 35mm film format). All GF lenses are capable of resolving up to 100MP, and are designed to be dust- and weather- resistant, built to withstand temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit \ -10 degrees Celsius allowing photographers to take them outdoors with confidence in challenging weather conditions.
To enhance operability for professional photographers, the GFX system is compatible with a variety of software, including “Capture One Pro (FUJIFILM),” announced at Photokina, to provide added options in commercial and fashion photography studio sessions. In addition, the GFX system supports tethering software “HS-V5 for Windows” and “Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe® Photoshop®,” to enable professional photographers to incorporate the GFX system into their regular workflow.
FUJIFILM GFX 50R Key Features:
- 4MP Medium Format 43.8 x 32.9mm sensor for superior sharpness and image quality for all photographers
- FUJIFILM G Mount with short flange back distance of just 26.7mm
- X-Processor Pro imaging processor
- Weather- and dust- resistant; operation to as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit \ -10 degrees Celsius
- File formats include three different JPEG settings (SUPER FINE, FINE, NORMAL), as well as two different RAW settings (uncompressed, compressed). TIFF output is also possible with in-camera RAW development
- Full HD for Movie Mode: 1920×1080 29.97p/25p/24p/23.98p 36Mbps, in Film Simulation modes
- Lightweight body weighs approximately 27.3oz. / 775g
- LCD Monitor
- 2 inch, aspect ratio 4:3, approx. 2,360K-dots; tilt-type (two direction), touch screen color LCD monitor (approx. 100% coverage)
- Uses SD Cards (UHS-II recommended)
- Equipped with dual slots
- Uses NP-T125 high capacity battery for approximately 400 photos (with Auto Power Save ON)
- All FUJINON GF Lenses are dust- and weather-resistant, built to withstand operation at temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit \ -10 degrees Celsius allowing photographers to take them outdoors with confidence in challenging weather conditions.
- Bluetooth® Ver. 4.0 low energy technology
- Accessories included:
- Li-ion battery NP-T125
- Battery charger BC-T125
- Plug adapter
- Body cap
- Strap clip
- Protective cover
- Clip attaching tool
- Shoulder strap
- Cable protector
- Hot shoe cover
- Sync terminal cover
- Owner’s manual
Availability and Pricing
The new FUJIFILM GFX 50R will be available late November 2018 in the U.S. and Canada for USD $4,499.95.
Fujifilm unveils GFX 100Megapixels Concept
-Concept for a new flagship model capable of producing world-leading image quality with the world’s highest* 102 million pixels image sensor
-A new GFX Series medium format mirrorless digital camera incorporating large sensor approximately 1.7 times the size of full-size 35mm image sensor
-Fully satisfies a diverse range of customer needs with high functionality including high-speed/high-precision autofocus, built-in image stabilization features, and 4K video shooting capability
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) has unveiled the GFX 100Megapixels Concept, the concept of flagship model currently under development as a new addition to the GFX Series – a medium format mirrorless digital camera series incorporating a large sensor approximately 1.7 times the size of a full-size 35mm image sensor** (43.8mm x 32.9mm.)[GFX 100Megapixels Concept] The concept is to create Fujifilm’s flagship model with highest performance and innovative features fully capable of meeting the diverse needs of professional and high amateur photographers. It incorporates the world’s highest* 102 million pixels image sensor which is larger than 35mm full size sensor, realizing world-leading image quality with Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology accumulated over many years and ground-breaking mobility.
<Main features of flagship GFX 100Megapixels Concept model>
(1) Achieves world-leading image quality and superior mobility by incorporating the Fujifilm G Format Image Sensor with the world’s highest* 102 million pixels
- It incorporates the newly developed Fujifilm G Format image sensor with the world’s highest* 102 million pixels. Together with the high-speed image processing engine X-Processor 4, the FUJINON GF Lens which provides ultra-high image resolution, and Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology accumulated over more than 80 years, the camera produces world-leading image quality, with precise and faithful reproduction down to the finest details.
- It is the first medium format mirrorless digital camera in the world*** to incorporate phase detection pixels throughout the entire sensor (coverage ratio of 100%,) allowing for high-speed/high-precision autofocus wherever in the frame subject is located. This mechanism makes it possible to use autofocus to track moving objects, which was difficult with the traditional system of contrast autofocus, resulting in more precise continuous autofocus and performance capability that exceeds conventional expectations for medium format digital cameras.
(2) Expanding the scope of ultra-high resolution photography through the world’s first-ever built-in image stabilization technology to be incorporated into a medium format digital camera
- Fujifilm has developed a new built-in image stabilization system, the first such system in the world to be incorporated into medium format digital cameras***. As the new image stabilization works with all varieties of interchangeable lenses, it expands the scope of hand-held ultra-high resolution photography with the 102 million pixel sensor.
(3) Meeting the need for high-quality video production with the world’s first*4 medium format mirrorless digital camera equipped for shooting 4K videos
- The combination of the newly developed image sensor with high-speed readout capability and the X-Processor 4 high-speed image processing engine provides a world’s first*4 capability for shooting 4K videos (4K 30p 10bit)*5 with a medium format mirrorless digital camera.
- A medium format sensor, larger than the sensors generally used in high-end cinema cameras, creates greater depth of field for shallow-field subjects, improves reproducibility across a wide range of color tones, and provides superior sensitivity. It gives photographers the ability to easily shoot high-quality movies which capture rich textures and depth as well as a sense of atmosphere present in a scene.
(4) Light, robust vertical grip and integrated magnesium alloy body provides superior utility
- Although the camera incorporates a large image sensor, it is the same size and weight as a high-end digital single lens reflex camera equipped with a 35mm full size image sensor.
It is the first camera in the GFX Series to have a vertically-position grip and an integrated magnesium alloy body, a design which makes the camera extremely robust, while also achieving good holding stability when attaching or removing large interchangeable lenses.
- * As of September 25, 2018. For commercially available mirrorless digital cameras.
- ** 36mm x 24mm size image sensor
- *** As of September 25, 2018
- *4 For mirrorless digital cameras with image sensors of 43.8mm x 32.9mm or larger. Data surveyed by Fujifilm as of September 25, 2018.
- *5 It can shoot smooth footage in 4K-quality at 30 frames per second. It is also possible to record a rich range of 10 bit color information. (10 bit is a of color information unit).