Well Panasonic manager Yosuke Yamane just spilled out some beans at an interview with Lesnumeriques:
- Eight years ago Panasonic had the idea to go Full Frame but at the time there were technical and commercial challenges
- Two years ago they started to look for an alliance around a Full Frame platform. At the beginning of 2018 they approached Leica and Sigma.
- Why is Olympus not on board with this? Yosuke said “we do not really have the same vision. Our directions are different now, on this format“
- The new AI autofocus system works on the question of “where to focus”. For example we use deep learning to track flying birds or human eyes
- Panasonic has abandoned the smart phone project and there will be no follow-up of the CM1 (here on Amazon).
- Panasonic does not think the smart phone market is a threat for MFT
Will Olympus regret this decision???
You can join the new L Full Frame Facebook group if you plan to buy this camera. There you can discuss all features and tests once it’s released!
To readers: While I am working to get some early specs I kindly invite you to stay tuned on L-rumors by subscribing here:
RSS feed: http://www.L-rumors.com/feed/