There is a new interview at Imaging Resource (Click here) with Kazuto Yamaki, Chief Operating Officer of Sigma Corp. The few interesting points are:
1) People are interested in high quality lenses, so primes are becoming more popular everywhere in the world.
2) for compact system cameras, we think the Sony system and Micro Four Thirds are the categories that we should support.
The most important point is that it looks like Sigma wants to develop lenses that will work on booths systems, NEX and m43. This will save them some money but in my opinion that is not the right approach. For three reasons:
1) Lenses designed for m43 could be considerable smaller.
2) Focal lengths are different. If you design a 16mm lens, this will become a 24mm on the NEX and a 32mm on the m43.
3) Every systems needs different lenses. There is a different need for lenses for m43 than for NEX.
Don’t know what you think guys :)